Bristol Police: DUI, reckless ATV, caller ‘screaming in hysterics’


The Bristol Police Department responded to the following calls between May 1 and May 7:

Monday, May 1

Police found a dresser and “various items” on the sidewalk in front of a home on Hope Street, in violation of town ordinances. There was no one home at the time.

Animal control officers responded to several animal complaints throughout the day, including at Hope Street and Poppasquash Road, where a dog was hit by a car at 3:30 p.m.

Officers responded to initial reports of shoplifting at the Stop & Shop on Metacom Avenue, but an investigation revealed the report was a misunderstanding.

SEE ALSO: Portsmouth Police: Woman took a bat to her ex-boyfriend

Tuesday, May 2

A resident on Mount Avenue reported being the victim of an attempted phone scam.

A man was reportedly posing as the victim’s nephew, saying he was in trouble. Police are investigating.

Police responded to the regional school district offices on State Street for reports of “suspicious statements.” No arrest was made, but rescue personnel were called to treat a man with a nose bleed.

A man called police from outside a Wood Street bar at 11:30 p.m., claiming he was being denied entrance, which would be the bar owner’s right to do. Police sent the man on his way.

Wednesday, May 3

A caller reported seeing several people enter the former Byfield School on High Street, just after 10 p.m. Space in the former school is now rented to various organizations as a business incubator space. There was no issue.

Thursday, May 4

A resident on Wood Street reported an unknown car has parked in front of the home the past couple nights, and seems to leave when the resident arrives home. Police filed a report.

A caller was “screaming in hysterics” when calling 911 at 8:46 a.m. Police investigated, determining it to be a medical issue. The caller was brought to Newport Hospital with unspecified injuries.

A juvenile was charged with disorderly conduct and arrested at Mt. Hope High School just before noon. The juvenile was released into the custody of his or her mother.

Police responded to a fight outside a club on St. Elizabeth Street at 1 p.m. No arrest was made.

A caller complained of suspicious work being done on vacant property on Dreadnaught Avenue at 2 p.m. There was no issue; the Bristol County Water Authority was performing the work.

John J. Ryan, 64, of 3 Wilcox St., Bristol, was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test after he reportedly hit a telephone pole at Kickemuit Avenue and Smith Street just after 3 p.m. He was brought to Newport Hospital.

A trailer was reportedly stolen from a business on Broadcommon Road. Police are investigating.

A suspicious man was reportedly going door-to-door on Fatima Drive around 7:30 p.m. He was informed of the town’s policy against soliciting without a permit.
A resident complained of construction noise on Third Street at 8 p.m. The workers were gone when police arrived.

A resident reported a large group of people gathering in the street at Thompson Avenue and Perry Street at 9:30 p.m. They were students waiting for a bus.

Another Third Street resident complained of construction noise after hours on Third Street, this time just after 10 p.m. The construction workers were advised to stop for the night.

Friday, May 5

A caller complained of a man and woman arguing on Town Common at 3 p.m. The couple was gone when officers arrived.

A car was reportedly vandalized on Almeida Court. Police filed a report.

A large tree limb reportedly fell on a house on Burton Street, taking power lines with it. National Grid, Verizon and American Tree Works responded.

Bill T. Waleryszak, 28, of 5 Chilton St., Bristol, was charged with violating a protective order.

Saturday, May 6

A disorderly man was yelling outside a Wood Street bar and refusing to leave until police sent him on his way just after midnight.

Officers responded to several noise and nuisance complaints in the wee hours of Saturday morning, on Monroe Avenue, Hope Street, State Street and Mt. Hope Avenue. Officers were called back to Monroe Avenue an hour later when the loud group returned.

An ATV rider was reportedly driving the recreational vehicle recklessly on Harrison Street at 3 p.m. The driver was gone when an officer arrived.

Sunday, May 7

Joseph D. McCullah, 53, of 1531 Long Hill Road, Guilford, Conn., was charged with DUI and refusal to submit to a chemical test after being pulled over on Hope Street at 1:20 a.m.

George Kolitsas, 20, of 22 Shadduck Road, Middleburg, Conn., was cited for underage possession of alcohol.

A side door was reportedly left open at the former Reynolds School on High Street. There were no issues; it appeared to be an oversight.

An injured coyote was spotted on the East Bay Bike Path near the Audubon Society building on Hope Street around 10 a.m. DEM was notified.

A caller reported a man with a megaphone was harassing people in Colt State Park around 7 p.m. DEM investigated, finding the man was not harassing people but leading a religious service.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email