Welding sparks ignite Tiverton shed, brush
An incendiary combination of welding sparks, dry brush and a fresh breeze set off a blaze that destroyed a shed and spread into the woods Tuesday.
Firefighters were already dealing with a car crash on Route 24 when they were called to 821 Lake Road for a report of fire.
Fire officials said that some outdoors repair work that involved welding near two sheds caused the fire which spread quickly through dry grass, leaves and brush.
Tiverton fire crews, supported by a Little Compton water tank truck, went into the woods and hosed down the fire before it could spread further. They managed to save one of the sheds but another was lost.
The property is owned by David J. and Roberta B. Aylsworth, town land records indicate.